Customer service

In case of any trouble during your residence, contact maintenance or the property management customer service.

Fault reports and on-call maintenance

If there is a fault or other issue with your apartment, we recommend that you submit a fault report electronically.
If the fault is urgent, such as water damage, a blocked drain or electrical fault, call your building’s maintenance company directly. You’ll find their contact details below.

Dear resident!

You can also see your own data on your personal resident page.

Property management customer service

Property management customer service is responsible for administrative matters, such as apartment contracts, fees and alterations.

Sales, exchanges and transfers of apartments

In case of a sale, exchange or transfer, contact

Page updated 17:26 13.2.2024